Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Door County Wisconsin Rally August 4-9,2013
06-07-2013, 19:08
Door County Wisconsin Rally August 4-9,2013
Door County, WI Rally Sun. Aug. 4 – Fri. Aug. 9, 2013
(Immediately following the EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, WI Fly In)
All Birds Welcome!
Hosts Jane and Gregg Gesse

Come join us in beautiful Door County surrounded by Green Bay and Lake Michigan. Door county has something for everyone to enjoy – locally grown cherries, salmon fishing, art galleries, shopping, fish boils, cheese houses, wineries and breweries, Washington Island, hiking, kayaking, biking, plays, concerts in the park, golf, dining out, picnics by the lake, sailing, antique shopping, lighthouses, and the world famous Al Johnson’s Swedish Pancake Restaurant with the goats on the roof just to mention a few.

Baileys Harbor is a lovely little lakeside town conveniently located within a short car ride to everything Door County has to offer. Located just about 125 miles from Oshkosh, WI, the Door County Rally is a great rally to combine with the Oshkosh Fly In ending on August 4th. Whether you have been to Door County before or not, come join us for a great time.

Check-in is Sunday August 4th from 2:00 until 5:00 P.M. Immediately following check-in is happy hour (bring your own drink). Appetizers will be provided. Dinner is on your own.

Monday begins with bring your own coffee, tea, or juice to the hall for light breakfast and short planning session. For those interested, we have a get acquainted with Door Co trolley tour planned – Dutch Treat. We will car pool to the trolley station for a 2 hour tour of Door Co. This tour is a quick overview of some of the sights. Lunch is on your own. For dinner, if Captain Jane and First Mate Gregg have been successful salmon fishing, we will grill fresh salmon caught locally in Lake Michigan. Everyone is asked to bring a side dish to contribute. Those who do not eat salmon are welcome to bring a burger or piece of chicken or whatever to grill. Dessert will be provided.

Tuesday again begins with bring your own coffee, tea, or juice to the hall for a light breakfast and short planning session. We encourage you to visit many of the wonderful county and state parks today. Cave Point County Park and White Fish Dunes State Parks are nearby as is Peninsula State Park. Cave Point is my favorite. Pack a picnic lunch and enjoy a great day by the water. If you paint, you do not want to miss the beauty of Cave Point Park. If you like to hike or take nature walks, you’ll enjoy these parks. Dinner is on your own.

Wednesday begins with bring your own coffee, tea, or juice and a light breakfast as everyone joins to make their plans for the day. For those ladies interested in checking out the unique shops in the various little towns, I have planned today for shopping. Guys are welcome to join us or make plans to go out on a charter boat to try their hand at salmon fishing. I have information for several charter boats going out of Baileys Harbor. Or you are welcome to strike out on your own to explore. For dinner tonight, those who are interested can sign up to have a famous Door County Fish Boil at the campground. The cost will be $16.00 per person and includes dinner, dessert, and tip. All others are on their own for dinner.

Thursday anyone interested should plan to go to Al Johnson’s for a look at the goats of the roof and some great Swedish Pancakes. If you are going to Al Johnson’s, I suggest you plan to get there around 7:30 AM. It is VERY popular and fills up fast. But it is a treat you should experience. From there, you may want to head for Washington Island. The ferry ride is wonderful. But you may want to car pool to split the cost. Lunch is own your own. Dinner TBD.

Friday is time to say good bye. Bring your favorite breakfast beverage and come to the hall for a light breakfast and well wishes for our fellow travelers as we make our way toward our next destination. Check out is 11:00 AM.

Depending on everyone’s thoughts, we may change dinner-on-your-own to potlucks. We want this to be an easy going rally that gives everyone the freedom to explore and experience Door County, WI. The daily planning sessions at breakfast will allow the opportunity to move activities around should weather become a factor.

The rally will be based in Beantown Campground in Baileys Harbor, WI by beautiful Lake Michigan. There are 15 full hook up sites with 50 Amp service available and additional full hook up sites with 30 Amp service available.

Those planning to attend should call Beantown direct for site reservations. Let them know you will be part of the Blue Bird Rally August 4 – August 9, 2013. Call 920-839-1439 or visit http://www.beantowncampground.com for reservations.

Those interested can contact Jane Gesse at janegesse@gmail.com or call 423-667-9488 for more information. The rally fee is $75.00 per coach with two people. There will be a charge of $37.50 for each additional person. Checks should be made out to Jane Gesse. Please mail them to: Jane Gesse, 350 Jim Hale LN, Decatur, TN 37322. Checks should be mailed no later than July 1st. Otherwise, contact me and we will make arrangements for payment at the time of arrival.

For more information on Door County, check the following websites – http://www.doorcounty.com http://www.door-county.com http://www.GoDoorCounty.com http://www.doorguidepublishing.com http://www.doorcountynavigator.com http://www.doorcountytoday.com/2012-go-guide/ http://www.aljohnsons.com (Be sure to check out the goat cam.)

Name: _______________________________
Number Attending: _________
Contact Information – Phone number: _____________________________________
Email:____________________________________________ ___________________
Names of those attending: _______________________________________________
Amount included: $______________________

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 22:40
RE: Door County Wisconsin Rally August 4-9,2013
That's phenomenal Gregg. You're a pro at rally organizing! Can I hire you to help with the WaGu Asheville NC Rally? Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
06-09-2013, 15:21
Hey David,
You are too kind and I would like to take the credit, but; my wife Jane is completely responsible for the rally.
We have been going to Door County the last few summers to fish for salmon and we both love the area. However, just from June to September! Otherwise we would need a winter coat.
We have four coaches signed up and welcome all Birds who want come. It is only about 3-4 hours from the Oshkosh EAA Fly-In, so this could be a nice add on to that trip.
Gregg & Jane
PS. Mentioned your post to Jane and guess what? We will be in site 70 next to you in Ashville in October. Did I mention that my wife is a Biltmore House enthusiast?

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
08-10-2013, 17:54 (This post was last modified: 08-10-2013 18:01 by Gregg.)
Highlights from Door County, WI Rally
Sun. Aug. 4 – Fri. Aug. 9, 2013
All Birds Welcomed

Attendees: Cindy & Joe Cich, Linda & Harvey Collins, Lucy & Barry Grim, Peggy & Charlie McKeehan, Marita & Geoff Newton, Kathy & Mark Ragsdale, Hosted By Jane and Gregg Gesse

Everything went off as planned except the weather, so all the plans were changed. However, the weather did finally get back to normal, that is beautiful, and all activities were accomplished.See the pictures for details.

Sturgeon Bay native Dick Murphy who is a long time rv’er and two time Blue Bird owner stopped by to chat and reminisce about mutual friends.

Joe & Cindy were first time rally attendees and new Bird owners, so we were fortunate to have several Blue Bird pros in attendance.After the normal Bird problem solving, Charlie was able to do a tech session on putting a hole in your generator radiator and creating a new coordinated work clothes outfit.

Gregg learned that his satellite rotator actually rotated his TV antenna, and was finally able to use one of the relays he got from KC.Lighting had welded Harvey’s compartment door lock relay and was eating 10 amp fuses as fast as you could feed them to the coach.

Barry showed true Blue Bird character and style, and earned all the Blue Birders a good name by helping a damsel in distress when her slide wouldn’t close and she had to leave for a family medical emergency.Of course, anyone who knows Barry knows he does this every day.

The last night the group was ready to stare down Death’s Door and later ate a Wisconsin fish boil to celebrate.

Thanks to all the attendees who helped the hosts with their first rally.We now know how much work has gone into all the rallies we have attended.So, we would like to say thanks to all those rally hosts who remember us.

Old friends were enjoyed, new friends were made and the Blue Bird family once again got together. Safe travels and, as always, All Birds Welcome.

[attachment=736]
Cindy, Joe & Harry's First of Many Rallies
[attachment=746]
Don't Worry There's Plenty of Room
[attachment=747]
Geoff & Harvey Paid for the Optional Lap Dance
[attachment=748]
Kathy & Mark
[attachment=749]
Linda & Harvey
[attachment=750]
Lucy & Barry
[attachment=751]
Marita & Geoff
[attachment=752]
Meeting Rally Attendee Expectations-Gregg Keeping Mark's Coach Clean
[attachment=753]
Nightly Campfire
[attachment=754]
Peggy & Charlie

More Pictures in next post

Highlights from Door County, WI Rally
Sun. Aug. 4 – Fri. Aug. 9, 2013
All Birds Welcomed

More Pictures

[attachment=755]
Pervious 2 Bird Owner Dick Murphy of Sturgeon Bay Stops By
[attachment=756]
Rally Hosts Enjoy Company
[attachment=757]
Sturgeon Bay Fire Boat Ride
[attachment=758]
Sturgeon Bay Lighthouse & Ship Channel
[attachment=759]
Trolly Tour
[attachment=760]
Voted Most Likely to Save Your Vacation

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
08-10-2013, 22:18
Fantastic Gregg and Jane,

You picked a beautiful place for the rally and you and Jane are the model hosts! I only hope I can do half as well on the inaugural WaGu Asheville Rally. Thanks for sharing your adventure and your pictures!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
08-11-2013, 03:09
Let's see; great area, great people and great birds. That always sounds like a great rally to me!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)