Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class-A RV Residential Refrigerator Exposition
07-09-2013, 18:35 (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 18:49 by davidbrady.)
Class-A RV Residential Refrigerator Exposition
I visited my local Camping World to quickly chronicle the use of residential refrigerators. My conclusions:

1) Judging from the ampere draw of the units, manufacturers aren't particularly picky about refrigerator energy requirements,
2) Door locks were ad-hoc and monster garage-ish (and that's putting it kindly). I actually cut my finger while trying to engage one of the locks,
3) Fit and finish are what you'd expect from the likes of Winnebago, Fleetwood, and Thor,
4) The fridges all looked like wall warts to me. The built-in look with matching cabinet grade paneled doors is gone.

My LXi deserves better...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2013, 19:03
RE: Class-A RV Residential Refrigerator Exposition
I'm thinking you make the electric solenoids like the Newell's have, to have the least obtrusive.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
07-09-2013, 20:56
(07-09-2013 18:35)davidmbrady Wrote:  I visited my local Camping World to quickly chronicle the use of residential refrigerators. My conclusions:

1) Judging from the ampere draw of the units, manufacturers aren't particularly picky about refrigerator energy requirements,
2) Door locks were ad-hoc and monster garage-ish (and that's putting it kindly). I actually cut my finger while trying to engage one of the locks,
3) Fit and finish are what you'd expect from the likes of Winnebago, Fleetwood, and Thor,
4) The fridges all looked like wall warts to me. The built-in look with matching cabinet grade paneled doors is gone.

My LXi deserves better...

Since I looked at the same units, you really can't compare the junk they sell to what should be done in our LXis. You would need to see how Newell or the P brand convertors go about it.

Corey Noble
Laurel Park, NC
2000 LXi 46,000 miles and counting
Added features: Overbuilt cycle lift, built-in vacuum, flat panel LCD TVs, Vetus macerating toilet, Samsung fridge, Lifeline batteries, headlight cover removal campaign.
07-10-2013, 00:09
Corey,

That's exactly how we should be doing it.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
07-10-2013, 01:17
I don't think these RV manufacturers are using residential fridges because they're safer, I think they're using them because they're cheaper. I don't think these manufacturers give a hoot about safety, and from what I saw of their installation, it's definitely cheaper to do than to install a gas fridge. Cheaper to install and cheaper for the appliance.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
07-10-2013, 08:56 (This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 08:57 by pgchin.)
Yeah,
We "play" regularly at RV places when OTR for a couple of hours of entertainment!Wink Salesmen come to you, you tell them you have a bird, they shake their head and nod, yes, nothing on the lot compares to a bird for quality and build, except a P-bus or Newell!RolleyesI did notice the refers as well in quote High end class A's(not P-buses or Newells)................what is even more amazing is one of these things with a residential refer, 2 house batteries and ONE charge/inverter......... I've NEVER seen more than 2 house batteries......... So what do you do for power for these refers when not on the grid?

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
07-10-2013, 09:22
So what do you do for power for these refers when not on the grid?

Have you asked the salesperson that? I bet, most of the salespeople at these places have never used an RV. Even for a weekend.

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
07-10-2013, 12:49
I did once 10 years ago! He "lied" to me!Angel You could tell by his explanations he never used an RV! So I don't ask anymore, but you are 100 percent Correct, most have not!!!!!!!!Tongue

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)