Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
generator fan wont run
07-11-2013, 21:44
RE: generator fan wont run
I agree with David, it is 240V. So, watch your volt meter. It is the same blower motor off a house a/c unit. The start capacitor could also be bad. But, chances are, a leg of generator is not producing.

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2013, 22:34
Thanks for all the Ideas , we pulled into Cherry Hill Campground in DC at 7pm . it was a long day on the road but the front air work great on Alternator along with the dash air . so there was no need for the genny . I ordered the Toggle breaker for the fan motor that I broke, and it will be here on Fri paid for overnight , didn't want to take any chances
with all the help from you guys, and some parts we should be genny able by Mon, when 7 days of dry camping lay ahead . wish us luck .

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
07-11-2013, 23:03
Al,

On mine, the toggle also controls the fan. I CAN have the genny doing everything it's supposed to be and NOT have the fan running simply by flipping the toggle. As you're already doing, replace it and then re-assess. I don't know that it has anything to do with the battery charging or not, but at least you can run the genny long enough to find out.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
07-12-2013, 10:02
(07-11-2013 21:44)patticake Wrote:  I agree with David, it is 240V. So, watch your volt meter. It is the same blower motor off a house a/c unit. The start capacitor could also be bad. But, chances are, a leg of generator is not producing.

Good call Steve, how could I have overlooked the start capacitor.

It's a 5 microfarad 370VAC capacitor which is available at just about any HVAC parts counter. It should also be available at NAPA.

More correctly, I guess we would say the fan is 230VAC but the voltage supply to the fan is 240VAC. :-)

So far on my genny (after 9 years of ownership), I've replaced the battery, fan motor, radiator, start capacitor, coolant level switch, coolant temp switch, fuel pump, 2" intake pipe (replaced with copper), run solenoid, and of course fluids and filters. I run the same coolant and engine oil that I run in my DD Series-60. I have over 3000 hours on the genny so I guess it's about time to replace the generator head bearing. Sigh... :-)

Quite frankly, there are few things I haven't been into on this bus. It's the only Wanderlodge I've ever owned and it'll probably stay that way.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
07-12-2013, 14:11
Guys, lets start with the Fan Not running . I have both legs of 110v , so its a toggle breaker since I broke it . next we go to fan motor ? how do I check to see if power is coming to the fan motor ? It could be the motor correct ? is this a repair item or a Powertec only item ? thank you

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
07-12-2013, 15:00 (This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 15:01 by davidbrady.)
Al,

There is a junction box located on the generator radiator shrouding. You'll see it when you open your generator basement door - follow the wires from the fan motor. There are wire thumb nuts splicing the high voltage wires. You should be able to pull the wires out far enough to undo the rubber booties on the wire nuts so that you can test the voltage. The motor is available at Graingers. I'll dig out a part number.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
07-12-2013, 15:11
thanks David , the toggle breaker cost 65$ from Powertec and 30$ for overnight delivery . I can only imagine the cost of the motor from them .

speaking about that little toggle , it is a breaker and it is exposed to much heat , so if you need to reset it be careful . I am not a bull, and it was very brittle to the touch .

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
07-12-2013, 20:17
Al, if it is the motorAngry just remember, you can get one from any a/c refrigeration supply place.Wink

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
07-12-2013, 20:32
Al, Did you check the alternator belt?

Corey Noble
Laurel Park, NC
2000 LXi 46,000 miles and counting
Added features: Overbuilt cycle lift, built-in vacuum, flat panel LCD TVs, Vetus macerating toilet, Samsung fridge, Lifeline batteries, headlight cover removal campaign.
07-12-2013, 21:17
At Albuquerque last Fall, my gen fan stopped working and the gen shut down due to heat(( great for the start of a week of boon-docking). Rick Archie came over with a $6 capacitor, replaced it and fan works ever since. I bought 3, one for Rick and two as spares. This does not solve your battery issue but you might just happen to have more than one gremlin visiting.

Tommy "2 Shoes" McCarthy
2006 M450XLI "GoneAway" Big Grin
Former owner 1995 PT42 WB "Pretty Penny"
Gardnerville, NV
Near South Lake Tahoe

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)