Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dash Vents on M450
07-25-2013, 20:45
Dash Vents on M450
Where can I get replacement vents for the dash AC directional vents? I have one that is broken and it blows on the passenger side chair. Guess who sits there.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Tommy "2 Shoes" McCarthy
2006 M450XLI "GoneAway" Big Grin
Former owner 1995 PT42 WB "Pretty Penny"
Gardnerville, NV
Near South Lake Tahoe
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2013, 15:49
RE: Dash Vents on M450
(07-25-2013 20:45)tcandt Wrote:  Where can I get replacement vents for the dash AC directional vents? I have one that is broken and it blows on the passenger side chair. Guess who sits there.

That vent looks like what is in our coach, passenger side, about passenger knee level, measures 5-3/4" x 2-1/2"? If yours measure the same, Colaw RV Salvage may have one. Could be BB continued using the same vent for many years. I know it's a stretch from 1987 to 2006.

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
07-26-2013, 20:58
Try checking in automotive junkyards. I think they are mid-80/90 GM stuff. Maybe on the rear a/c units in vans. Might also be available through a parts store, if you can show them a picture and they are intelligent enough to use a paper catalog. Also, if you have any a/c parts places in your area, show them a picture. They might point you in the direction of a shop that installs aftermarket a/c in cars(if any still exist)

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
07-29-2013, 19:00
(07-25-2013 20:45)tcandt Wrote:  Where can I get replacement vents for the dash AC directional vents? I have one that is broken and it blows on the passenger side chair. Guess who sits there.

Tommy,

Here are some other pictures of that vent from behind, in case you try to have a parts counter match it up. I agree with Steve that they are probably 70-80s GM rear AC vents. These pictures are from a spare I have and a broken one. There are no part numbers on them, only a casting number of 269 on the black housing. Note that the chrome vent piece slips right out of the housing. Just remove the screws, spread the black housing a tad and out it comes. The wheel just rotates a plastic bar that pivots the vent wings open or closed.

I do not see any damage on your vent, so I would assume that there may just be an obstruction behind it. Remove the two screws and gently remove the vent to check for an obstruction. Bluebird trimmed these vents to fit as needed. Note that my broken one had the side rails cut off to make it narrower to fit on the front living area light covers. On my dash vents in front of the passenger, the back of the vents were cut off for more air flow as BB had constructed an inner a/c delivery box behind them. There was not very much depth behind them, so it could be possible that your black wing vents are just hitting the back of the air delivery vent and unable to move easily, if BB made a delivery a/c box for yours also. If so, just pop the two screws, close the vent and replace.

İmage İmage İmage

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi43 DS
San Antonio, TX
07-29-2013, 19:10
(07-29-2013 19:00)mikebulriss Wrote:  

Tommy,

Here are some other pictures of that vent from behind, in case you try to have a parts counter match it up. I agree with Steve that they are probably 70-80s GM rear AC vents. These pictures are from a spare I have and a broken one. There are no part numbers on them, only a casting number of 269 on the black housing. Note that the chrome vent piece slips right out of the housing. Just remove the screws, spread the black housing a tad and out it comes. The wheel just rotates a plastic bar that pivots the vent wings open or closed.

I do not see any damage on your vent, so I would assume that there may just be an obstruction behind it. Remove the two screws and gently remove the vent to check for an obstruction. Bluebird trimmed these vents to fit as needed. Note that my broken one had the side rails cut off to make it narrower to fit on the front living area light covers. On my dash vents in front of the passenger, the back of the vents were cut off for more air flow as BB had constructed an inner a/c delivery box behind them. There was not very much depth behind them, so it could be possible that your black wing vents are just hitting the back of the air delivery vent and unable to move easily, if BB made a delivery a/c box for yours also. If so, just pop the two screws, close the vent and replace.

Thanks, Mike. My vent has the chromed wheel recessed into the housing so I cannot move the black vent deflectors and the right half black flaps are just loose. I will take it out and see if somebody's foot just released everything from it's proper place. Also, Dan Sunderland has a spare he is holding for me.

Tommy "2 Shoes" McCarthy
2006 M450XLI "GoneAway" Big Grin
Former owner 1995 PT42 WB "Pretty Penny"
Gardnerville, NV
Near South Lake Tahoe
07-30-2013, 12:04
I would love to find some of those as well. I would like to adjust the air coming out of the overhead A/C units on the 450 Lxi

Robert B. Buscher, Jr.
2006 M-450 Lxi
The Dog House
07-30-2013, 14:33
(07-29-2013 19:10)tcandt Wrote:  

Tommy,

Thanks, Mike. My vent has the chromed wheel recessed into the housing so I cannot move the black vent deflectors and the right half black flaps are just loose. I will take it out and see if somebody's foot just released everything from it's proper place. Also, Dan Sunderland has a spare he is holding for me.

I will try to take a spare to the GM dealer to see if they can find a p/n.

Dan

Dan Sunderland
2005 450LXi
San Marcos, CA
07-31-2013, 14:25
(07-30-2013 14:33)Wanderer Wrote:  
(07-29-2013 19:10)tcandt Wrote:  

Tommy,

I will try to take a spare to the GM dealer to see if they can find a p/n.

Dan

I have only found this size from 1 place. Site is below. All dimensions the same, center is black not chrome. Still looking.

Dan

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air-con...-4-759.php

Dan Sunderland
2005 450LXi
San Marcos, CA
07-31-2013, 16:35
Thats a good start Dan.

Thanks for looking.

Robert B. Buscher, Jr.
2006 M-450 Lxi
The Dog House
08-10-2013, 22:44 (This post was last modified: 08-10-2013 22:50 by dentmac.)
A little late--sorry.
The dash was fabricated by
Picken's Plastics
Jefferson Ohio 44047
440 576-4001
Perhaps they would know the vent supplier or even have some.

Ross

The company that designed the slideout system was http://hamiltonits.com/ . I'm sure they are not proud of that.

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)