Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alpine IVA-C800 Video/CD/ Nav Radio
08-13-2013, 00:07
Alpine IVA-C800 Video/CD/ Nav Radio
My bus has the subject radio installed which is probably the original BB installed unit. It’s been cantankerous to use especially because we had no manual for it. I did download a 251 page manual from Alpine’s website. It has declined to respond lately to anything except the AM/FM radio. No TV, no Nav & no CD want to work anymore. The touch screen refuses to light up. This was a state of the art unit in 2000 costing about $1500 new.

Considering that this controller works off a remote brain under the dash and uses a multi-pin coaxial cable between them to communicate; rewiring the system to fit another Nav Radio appeared to be a whole lotta work.

So, since I don’t know whether it’s the Brain or the Controller; I’m thinking of just replacing whichever of the two units is bad with a refurbished unit. They are available on line and relative cheap at about $100 each.

Does anyone have the same unit? If so, have you had similar problems with it and what did you do to “fix” it? I like to hear if anyone has any better suggestions that what I’m considering.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2013, 00:37
RE: Alpine IVA-C800 Video/CD/ Nav Radio
Hi Chuck,

I use the Alpine Powernav NVE-N852A with an Alpine IVA-D106 head-end which has a 7" flip up screen. I installed this system in 2005 and am still using 2005 maps. A newer navigation DVD is probably available, but I mostly travel interstate highways which don't change much; I haven't gotten myself into a bind yet. I see that the NVE-N852A is no longer available but I haven't spent any time yet to see what's taken it's place. The Powernav has never offered any true trucking capabilities: bridge height, weight restrictions, etc, which would be something to look for. I haven't had any problems with it. Other's may have info on the current crop of offerings. I'd love to hear about them too. I already have a PC that I use for VMSpc and I really don't want to share it with Delorme or any other windows based navigation system. Back when I installed my IVA-D106 the Powernav gave Delorme a run for its money, but I suspect that Delorme or similar has outpaced it by now. I like the convenience of the flip up display, I like the satellite radio, and surround surround sound with subwoofer, the integration with my TV monitor, and I like the that it looks original in my dashboard. I suspect when it fails I'll probably look seriously at some of the PC offerings and I'll try to find a way to integrate it into my dash. I'm looking forward to other comments.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
08-13-2013, 02:14 (This post was last modified: 08-13-2013 02:15 by cmillsap.)
Here's a couple of pics of the controller. It had great sound. It had a nice TV picture and the Nav was easy to use. I'd be happy to settle for it. I like to keep things original to the bus if possible.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
08-13-2013, 12:38
Chuck,

My Alpine IVA-D106 runs without a brain unit. I run my tweeters off the IVA-D106 integrated 50W 4-channel amplifier and the subwoofers off an external Fosgate amplifier. The screen is 7". It may be slightly old-school, but I'm hooked on my Alpine; although I may eventually have to move on since motorized flip-up screens head units have been discontinued. I did some checking and head units and brains for yours are available cheap, or you can upgrade. The lastest IVA navigation unit is the IVA-N872A, but it's also discontinued.

Turns out Alpine doesn't make flip-up screen head units anymore. I spoke with a rep and if you want audio-file sound quality with a navigation unit the best Alpine has is the INE-S920HD. Seems manufacturers have moved away from the motorized screen to a flush mount. The last motorized screen in the Alpine lineup was the IVA-D106 and that ended in 2010.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
08-13-2013, 14:28
Since most oem's are using screens flush mounted in the dash, the aftermarkets need to have something to mount in that hole/space. Besides, the flip up screens had problems with the motorized portions. Take out the rear view screen and mount a new system in that location. The new stuff has inputs for such things as rear view cameras.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
08-13-2013, 21:00 (This post was last modified: 08-13-2013 21:01 by cmillsap.)
(08-13-2013 14:28)Arcticdude Wrote:  Since most oem's are using screens flush mounted in the dash, the aftermarkets need to have something to mount in that hole/space. Besides, the flip up screens had problems with the motorized portions. Take out the rear view screen and mount a new system in that location. The new stuff has inputs for such things as rear view cameras.

Yeah, John,

The mechanism that operates the flip up "err" retractable screens are prone to failure as the gearing goes haywire. Extending & retracting the screen every time the radio is used wears the mechanism out prematurly. Anyone with a flip up screen radio would be wise to leave the screen extended to lengthen the life of the radio. Perhaps a dry lubricant on the slide mechanism may take some of the stress off the gears.

I bought another head unit online for $117. A cheap way to get my audio working as it should again. I plan to leave the screen in the extended position as it really isn't in the way of anything else.

Hopefully, it was the head unit and not the "brain" that is bad on my unit. If not, I can buy a "brain" unit for about $70 online.

BTW, I did check with Alpine as they have a service center very close to me here in CA. They can not repair this model radio as there are no more replacement parts available.

Chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)