Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One project begats another...
08-17-2013, 12:17
One project begats another...
The new fridge project somehow inspired the removal of old front carpet and replacement with cork flooring. The carpet looked in decent shape, but I suspected it was causing a lot of dust as it is now 13 years old and probably deteriorating. Removal was as expected, lots of staples to pull and a few surprises in the way BB transitioned to things like the passenger seat mount and the entry stairs. Basically, they just laid up padding and cut the top coat of plywood back from the edge. This required adding material to level the entire floor for the cork. İmage I used floating cork planks attached to an underlayment that snaps together like laminate flooring. This matched the height of the kitchen/bath vinyl floating floor for a perfect transition. Here I laid out the new flooring on the deck. İmage Here are shots of the finished floor. İmage İmage

Corey Noble
Laurel Park, NC
2000 LXi 46,000 miles and counting
Added features: Overbuilt cycle lift, built-in vacuum, flat panel LCD TVs, Vetus macerating toilet, Samsung fridge, Lifeline batteries, headlight cover removal campaign.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes gondolaguy's post
08-17-2013, 19:41
RE: One project begats another...
Hey Corey,

It really worked out. Looks great. Are you going to put cork on the slideout stairwell cover? When Ernie and I did my floor we carpeted the cover and we also carpeted the heavy steel platform that the co-pilot seat fastens too. Nice job!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
08-17-2013, 21:21
(08-17-2013 12:17)gondolaguy Wrote:  The new fridge project somehow inspired the removal of old front carpet and replacement with cork flooring. The carpet looked in decent shape, but I suspected it was causing a lot of dust as it is now 13 years old and probably deteriorating. Removal was as expected, lots of staples to pull and a few surprises in the way BB transitioned to things like the passenger seat mount and the entry stairs. Basically, they just laid up padding and cut the top coat of plywood back from the edge. This required adding material to level the entire floor for the cork. I used floating cork planks attached to an underlayment that snaps together like laminate flooring. This matched the height of the kitchen/bath vinyl floating floor for a perfect transition. Here I laid out the new flooring on the deck. Here are shots of the finished floor.

Nice Cory!

Very nice!

I've been considering cork flooring myself.
Lightweight, easy on the feet, waterproof and when one gets the Bluebird bounce and you land on it, well you bounce right back. The trampoline effect.Wink

Also been following your Samson fridge install. While I did think we did the right thing with the Amish replacement and halogen extinguisher, I can't help but admire how yours now looks and envy all the additional space you have.

Now it makes me wonder. Smile

J

Jennifer and Darrell Snell
2000 LXi ME SS
Florida - Palm Harbor and McAlpin
08-18-2013, 08:40
nice- now add some stairnose trim

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
08-18-2013, 10:46
We've just spent the weekend in Maggie Valley and the Samsung fridge is just an amazing improvement. We really don't need the extra space for just the two of us, but if we can find a way to park next to our house with 50 Amp, it would be a great backup fridge for the house.

The cork is also a great upgrade. I found it was the easiest flooring yet to cut to complex size. I used a sabre saw (med blade) for all cuts with no chipped edges at all. It is quiet and very easy to clean.

I think I'll be using maple for the nose molding, but open to ideas. I discounted Corian, too much in here already. David, for the stairwell cover, side boxes and chair platform I think I am going to use some form of carpet or heavy cloth material. I toyed with the idea of using exotic wood for the boxes, but decided they shouldn't really be the highlight, so probably a carpet material that disappears to the eye.

Thanks for all the kudos! This has been a fun upgrade.

Corey Noble
Laurel Park, NC
2000 LXi 46,000 miles and counting
Added features: Overbuilt cycle lift, built-in vacuum, flat panel LCD TVs, Vetus macerating toilet, Samsung fridge, Lifeline batteries, headlight cover removal campaign.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)