Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Travel Pictures
09-01-2013, 20:06
Travel Pictures
Attached are some pictures from our adventures in Alaska and the drive up and back. This was probably as nice a summer as I can remember in Alaska with warm temperatures and little rain. It was an outdoor summer.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage

2003 LXI dbl. slide

George & Norma Fox
Mexico in Winter
Alaska in Summer
http://www.doszorros.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DOSZORROS's post
09-02-2013, 02:12
RE: Travel Pictures
(09-01-2013 20:06)DOSZORROS Wrote:  Attached are some pictures from our adventures in Alaska and the drive up and back. This was probably as nice a summer as I can remember in Alaska with warm temperatures and little rain. It was an outdoor summer.

George, thank you for posting the photos. And keep posting. I'm enjoying all your photos. See you at Q.

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
09-02-2013, 21:37
George,
Have you eaten moose before?
And if so how do/ did you prepare it?
Dee brought home a roast sized chunk, that was a gift, in an ice cooler from his most recent trip, and I have no idea what I should do with it.
Advice would be appreciated.
Does it resemble venison or elk?

Jennifer and Darrell Snell
2000 LXi ME SS
Florida - Palm Harbor and McAlpin
09-03-2013, 13:53
Ugh,
Dennis, you keep posting pictures of Alaska and you are going to force me to have to go there sooner than I planned! Thanks for the BEAUTIFUL scenes! All kidding aside,please keep posting them, I love to see it!!!!!!!

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
09-05-2013, 13:22
Jennifer:

We lived on moose meat for 20 years in Alaska. It is a lean meat but is very good. We butchered it into steak and hamburger (not roasts) but it is all good and resembles elk or lean beef.

The big thing is to not overcook it or it gets pretty dry like all wild game meat. I would suggest the crock pot with some onion, garlic and any vegtables you desire.

2003 LXI dbl. slide

George & Norma Fox
Mexico in Winter
Alaska in Summer
http://www.doszorros.com
[+] 1 user Likes DOSZORROS's post
09-05-2013, 20:22
Thanks George,

We have never had moose meat before, and my first look at it too was ugh, but the fact of the matter this meat was given to Darrell as a gift, from a remote Native American Alaskan village (ie Eskimos) and it was an honor and the best they had to offer.

They don't have McDonalds there, or any restaurant, grocery store or cattle (and the cow meat we eat here in the US but would turn some heads in India). It's all a matter of when in Rome.

They are a subsistent village. They live off only what they have there and can catch or hunt.. Fish, walrus, wild birds and moose and caribou.

They sent Darrell home with the best they had to offer, in thanks for bringing water, running water to their homes for the first time ever in their lifetimes and ever, ever. Just imagine that! Running water in their kitchens and flushing toilets. Magic!

I am not going to throw their gift of moose into garbage just because it is new or foreign to me. I will do my uneducated best to honor their gift.

Darrell went fishing with one of the villagers, Jonathan. After he had caught one and Darrell then caught another, he said this is enough for us. He gave one to his mother, and he and Darrell ate the other.

This is how they live and how they appreciate the gifts of nature.

I know, I've been there before.

Ms.Bee

Jennifer and Darrell Snell
2000 LXi ME SS
Florida - Palm Harbor and McAlpin

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)