Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headlight Lexan Covers
09-03-2013, 21:26 (This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 22:54 by cmillsap.)
Headlight Lexan Covers
I removed the old Lexan clear covers over the headlights today. I bought a clear piece of Lexan to replace them but have not installed it yet because I rather like the look without the clear covers. I believe this is how David Brady left his after he replaced the headlights with HIDs.

About the only good thing with the clear lenses is that they seal the headlights from water and other objects. Some owners are replacing the clear covers with stainless covers that have two holes cut in each to allow the headlights to shine through. Those holes will allow water to get in but I don't think the water will hurt anything as it should drain out the holes in the bottom of the inner piece or through the space between the light lens and the inner piece.

As easy as it was to remove the Lexan clear covers; I will probably just install two new clear Lexan covers and be done with it.

If anyone is wondering how to remove them without completely removing the black covers, here's how I did it.

Extending the generator compartment will provide good access to the inboard vertical edges of the black plastic covers. The black covers will either be glued to the inner lights surround piece or Velcroed to it. Mine were glued along that inner vertical edge. Using a putty knife; I was able to break the glue and separate the outer black cover from the inner piece. Also, I used the putty knife to break the glue holding the clear lens covers to the black cover and the inner piece. A 16" steel ruler worked well to break the glue between the back of the clear lens and the inner piece. Once the clear lens is free; it can be pushed out between the opening at the inboard vertical wall of the black cover.

Note: Old and New cover pic below

Chuck

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cmillsap's post
09-05-2013, 13:03
RE: Headlight Lexan Covers
Chuck:

I removed the covers on mine because they were collecting dirt on the inside and you can't get at it to clean it. I left the covers off and repainted the inner plastic that goes around the headlights.

I plan to put a ring of 1/2 inch rope lights with one inch light spacing around the inside groove but haven't got to this project yet.

If and when I get this done, I will post pictures if it turns out OK.

2003 LXI dbl. slide

George & Norma Fox
Mexico in Winter
Alaska in Summer
http://www.doszorros.com
09-05-2013, 20:36
(09-05-2013 13:03)DOSZORROS Wrote:  Chuck:

I removed the covers on mine because they were collecting dirt on the inside and you can't get at it to clean it. I left the covers off and repainted the inner plastic that goes around the headlights.

I plan to put a ring of 1/2 inch rope lights with one inch light spacing around the inside groove but haven't got to this project yet.

George,

I decided to leave the covers off also. To make the opening look a bit more finished I installed a chrome color vinyl molding around the edges.
The molding has a U shaped profile with adhesive on the inner surface. It fit over the edges quite nicely. A cheap fix, the molding cost $12 for 18 lineal feet at Orielly's Auto Parts.

Chuck

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
09-05-2013, 20:57
very nice

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
09-06-2013, 13:16
(09-05-2013 20:36)cmillsap Wrote:  
(09-05-2013 13:03)DOSZORROS Wrote:  Chuck:

George,

I decided to leave the covers off also. To make the opening look a bit more finished I installed a chrome color vinyl molding around the edges.
The molding has a U shaped profile with adhesive on the inner surface. It fit over the edges quite nicely. A cheap fix, the molding cost $12 for 18 lineal feet at Orielly's Auto Parts.

Chuck

Chuck:

It looks good. I might try this myself.

2003 LXI dbl. slide

George & Norma Fox
Mexico in Winter
Alaska in Summer
http://www.doszorros.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)