Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batteries Overcharging Badly
09-08-2013, 10:45 (This post was last modified: 09-08-2013 12:28 by davidbrady.)
RE: Batteries Overcharging Badly
Mike,

Here's what the diode configuration around the 'Aux Batt' solenoid should look like. I penciled in the diode part numbers in red:

You should be running a Delco Remy voltage regulator part number: 19020413. I see now that this part number has been superseded by: 10503807

Here's a Delco Remy document, from our Document Library, on retrofitting the 10503807 Voltage Regulator: Delco Remy 50DN Voltage Regulator.

Here's a document from our Document Library that shows how to test the Alternator: Series-60 50DN alternator test.

Here's a document from Blue Bird (also in our Document Library) that suggests a modification to the voltage regulator wiring: Voltage Regulator Wiring Modification. The new voltage regulator, 10503807, is five wire: Field, Ground, Battery, Ignition, and Sense. The relay in this document is no longer necessary since there is a relay built-in to the voltage regulator for the VR's Ignition terminal. Notice how this document suggests moving the Sense/Battery wire from the chassis battery bank to the coach (house) battery bank. George Morris (Ex Blue Bird employee and Wanderlodge expert extraordinaire) suggests that the Battery and Sense leads be connected to the first insulated stud on the aluminum heat shield where the alternator output connects directly. It's best that this connection be made thru a fuse or a 15A circuit breaker.

For better or for worse the 'Aux Batt' solenoid is the original Wanderlodge configuration interfacing the chassis and house battery banks. Someday it'd be fun to review this setup and to possibly isolate the banks better with Battery Isolators, or similar technology. A Battery Isolator will allow the Xantrex chargers or the 50DN alternator to charge both banks but it won't allow one depleted bank to discharge the other bank. There's definitely room for improvement over the original design using standard and available technology.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Batteries Overcharging Badly - davidbrady - 09-08-2013 10:45

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)