Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batteries Overcharging Badly
09-09-2013, 13:58
RE: Batteries Overcharging Badly
These posts just keep getting more informative...!

We haven't missed our trip just yet, presuming they actually have it fixed!

Here's where I'm at. I called the shop this morning to get an update and arrange to go over and share some of this info.

"It's all done, we're just totallying the work order".

They apparently replaced 2 of 3 of the brand new chassis batteries.

They also replaced all 6 of the 4D house batteries.

They also replaced a "leaking disconnect".

The regulator was reported as OK.

So I guess if it's wired right we'll have eliminated the batteries as a cause. If it's not, we'll be frying more batteries, but at least this time that will be all their cost.

They say the signal light turning on the wiper once is a steering column wiring matter and unrelated. Not sure if they attempted to fix or not. I'll find out when I get there.

I think when I go to pick it up, I will ask about the diodes and see if I get an

a) Yes, we know all about those and they are connected properly and we did such and such a test to verify, or
b) a deer in the headlight look at which point I will be in there with my iphone cam taking pictures in the hope one of you folks can help me ID the diode and verify its there and wired properly.

Part of me just wants to get it out of there.

Our big trip is not pooched yet.

I am supposed to be at a 30th Anniversary Fly In (Challenger Ultralights) near Moline on the weekend of the 20th. The plan is I fly and my missus drives our bus. We did the reverse trip in 2008 and she is a great bus driver and that way I have a nice place to sleep each night after a long day flying (Edmonton to Moline is a long ways at 70mph True Airspeed!).

I'm a bit worried about the coach, but I guess we'll do lots of testing in the driveway and see how it's doing, and I can also figure out the settings on the inverters.

Thanks for the ongoing help everyone.

If the factory was still there, I would be extending our trip to Georgia to get it looked at where it was built!

Mike and Tracy - near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
1999 43 LXI, "Maddy" - 60 Series Detroit
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (Diesel) or Jeep Rubicon 4 Down Toad

Rolleyes http://www.challengerwest.com Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 14:09 (This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 14:15 by pgchin.)
I'm glad you will be getting to go on your trip and did not miss out!!!!Big Grin The diodes as well as the regulator being correctly wired info in this thread would be helpful to them and you......take it with you on your trip as well if you have limited internet access in case you have issues on the trip.
Don't worry about the batteries........run them for an hour or two, then when you pull into a rest area for a break, open up the battery compartment doors and feel the sides of the batteries for "heat".......they should be at ambient temp all the time. An overcharged battery will run hotter than ambient temp. Also I think I read you were running flooded cells, take a flash light and check for wetness around the cell caps of all batteries...... overcharging flooded cells will spew acid and the tops of the batteries around the cell caps will be "wet"....... Most of all ENJOY your trip........we ALL run with issues and a punch list............ nature of the beast!Big GrinTongueAngel
PS FWIW the "default" settings for the inverters is flooded cells so you should be OK............when the panels/ inverters loose power like replacing batteries, disconnects, etc. the inverter settings revert to the default settings.....

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
09-09-2013, 15:00
Out of curiousity, where do you find the setting for the inverters? Is that part of the menu tree on the displays in the cockpit, or dip switches on the inverters themselves?

09-09-2013, 15:10 (This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 15:15 by pgchin.)
(09-09-2013 15:00)mhughes01 Wrote:  Out of curiousity, where do you find the setting for the inverters? Is that part of the menu tree on the displays in the cockpit, or dip switches on the inverters themselves?

The inverter configuration is "stored" in the inverters on the inverters control board memory chip in the inverter itself. It is accessed either by the "smart" or "dumb" panels in the coach by the pilots seat, depending on what type of panels you have. The thread below should help you out BUT if you are running flooded cells the battery type will be flooded / wet instead in the config David posted. Try this thread. It has some config info and other info about flooded cells I put in as an FYI
http://wanderlodgegurus.com/Thread-LXi-Parasitic-Load

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
09-09-2013, 16:45
Mike,

You can also access the info here:

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Discont...RevNew.pdf

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
09-10-2013, 03:38
(09-09-2013 16:45)Arcticdude Wrote:  Mike,

You can also access the info here:

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Discont...RevNew.pdf

Thanks very much - great manual. Can't wait to get the Bird home to check the settings!

09-11-2013, 05:43
Well she's home. Things appear to be working properly. He double checked diodes - all was good. $2,000 worth of batteries and we're good to go it seems. I'll likely get some warranty credit for the new ones replaced once interstate does their testing.

Will have to replace the signal light switch at some point. (Anyone know the part number and a source?)

I started looking at the xantrex remote settings and about all that agreed with David's recommendedsettings was they a set to lead acid! Mine don't have an AGM setting (not that I need it).

Do all the 1999's tend to have shunts? That is currently set to off.

Thanks for all the help folks.

God willing, we will be Illinois-bound in a couple of days for the Chllenger 30th anniversary fly in rendezvous at Erie park, Illinois. Me in my Bird (960 pounds gw), and the misses in hers (26 tons) !

[+] 1 user Likes mhughes01's post
09-11-2013, 14:59
(09-11-2013 05:43)mhughes01 Wrote:  Well she's home. Things appear to be working properly. He double checked diodes - all was good.

Great news Mike. Good luck! While your wife is driving have her glance down at the 'alt batt' switch led. It should be 'on' (glowing green) when the engine is running. When the engine is off she should be able to toggle the switch and see the led come 'on'. If the led toggles 'on' then we can be pretty sure that the engine start circuitry as well as the dash switch are capable of enabling the solenoid. If while driving she finds that the LED is not turned 'on' then have her enable it by throwing the switch. IOWs, you want the 'aux batt' solenoid enabled when the engine is running.

(09-11-2013 05:43)mhughes01 Wrote:  Will have to replace the signal light switch at some point. (Anyone know the part number and a source?)

I've never had to source a turn signal stalk. I'd try a school bus franchise. Holland Motors, Michigan, is usually pretty helpful; ask for their school bus franchise. Please let us know if you come up with a part number.

(09-11-2013 10:37)Bird Owner Wrote:  Mike, My '99LXi43 came with Gel batteries for the house (six) and lead acid (three) for starting. The inverter charger had a "Gel" setting which was and must be selected as the Gel's require a lower voltage for charging. The starting batteries, Group 31 type, were charged at the same voltage as the Gel's using an Xantrex Echo Charger for automatic charging from the main inverter/chargers when shore or generator power was available...

Rich, your Xantrex Echo charger upgrade has been on my ToDo list for far too long. I'd also like to wire one up to my generator start battery.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
09-11-2013, 16:42
David,

As you know, my three way switch titled "Aux battery" does not light up when in the center "off" position. It only lights up when depressed to the right or momentarily depressed to the left. Here was what I saw on a post on the other WL website

"This is what my LXi manual states, your M380 setup may be different.

AUXILIARY BATTERY
A three position switch – ON, OFF and Momentary ON. The Momentary ON
position connects chassis and coach batteries to aid in engine or generator
starting should this need arise. The ON position connects both sets of batteries
to the battery charger and is primarily intended to maintain all batteries during
long-term storage. The OFF position is the normal position while the coach is
in use, either driving or parked."

This is from the same year LXI as mine. I wonder then if mine is not functioning correctly and/or if your memory of yours is off???

Corey Noble
Laurel Park, NC
2000 LXi 46,000 miles and counting
Added features: Overbuilt cycle lift, built-in vacuum, flat panel LCD TVs, Vetus macerating toilet, Samsung fridge, Lifeline batteries, headlight cover removal campaign.
09-11-2013, 18:10
Hey Corey,

Judging from the 1999 LXi document that Rich published earlier, enabling the engine start circuitry should turn the 'alt batt' dash led on. An easy way to test it, w/o breaking out any tools or disconnecting any wires, is to climb into your captains seat with the ignition key off. Make note of the Engine Volts gauge reading and the Coach Volts gauge reading. (For this test to work the coach would have to have been sitting for a spell with the 'aux batt' off). Note that the reading on each gauge is different. Now turn on the ignition switch. If you're 'aux batt' solenoid is turning on the two gauges should converge to the same voltage reading. (maybe someone can think of an even easier test).

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)