Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've changed my mind about slides....
09-09-2013, 12:04
I've changed my mind about slides....
Certainly, the lack of knowledge as to the true potential cost of slide maintenance previously scared me from wanting such an extravagance, but the Brady seal coupled with real life costs on changing the seals has me thinking they are not so bad after all. Frankly, I still don't personally have a great desire as I find there is plenty of room in my couch for the two of us, maybe too much! But, this rig certainly got my vote as a pretty cool way to go.... İmage Not sure if David can make a seal for these slides and....lifts, and........

Corey Noble
Laurel Park, NC
2000 LXi 46,000 miles and counting
Added features: Overbuilt cycle lift, built-in vacuum, flat panel LCD TVs, Vetus macerating toilet, Samsung fridge, Lifeline batteries, headlight cover removal campaign.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes gondolaguy's post
09-09-2013, 12:09
RE: I've changed my mind about slides....
Now, THAT is a MOTORHOME!!

TOM
09-09-2013, 14:40
So I wonder how much to repair it when you forget to lower the second floor and drive off??!!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
09-09-2013, 14:43
Good question, I'm more interested in its roll over rating!!!!

Corey Noble
Laurel Park, NC
2000 LXi 46,000 miles and counting
Added features: Overbuilt cycle lift, built-in vacuum, flat panel LCD TVs, Vetus macerating toilet, Samsung fridge, Lifeline batteries, headlight cover removal campaign.
09-09-2013, 15:55
That would take some serious cojones to truly roll that thing!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
09-09-2013, 21:23
Aside from the fabulous picture you posted; on the general subject of slides, we had 4 Wanderlodges without slides and had plenty of room for two of us. We didn't want slides.

Our present coach has two slides. If you are only overnighting or staying a day or two, slides don't do much for me. If you are going to be in one location for a few days or more, the extra room provided by slides is really appreciated. The floorplan in our coach is such that with the slides in, you have the same floorplan as a no slide coach which is very usable.

This is one man's opinion and opinions are never worth more than they cost.

2003 LXI dbl. slide

George & Norma Fox
Mexico in Winter
Alaska in Summer
http://www.doszorros.com
09-09-2013, 22:49
Corey, that's jumping in head first! Here's another at Visibly-Loud! Very impressive!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
09-10-2013, 00:04 (This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 00:07 by cmillsap.)
Corey,

David and I used to "Debate" the advantages & disadvantages of a slide or slides all the time. I was not a big fan of slides because I believed the negatives outweighed the positives, maybe 5 to 1. Tela wanted a bus with a slide. She always was complaining about the inability to pass each other without side-stepping to get pass me and I ain't fat! Also, because our dog 'BuddyT" was always laying in the way and difficult to step over or around due to his size.

So we sold the non-slide LXi and bought a M380 with 2 slides. There were other reasons for sizing down on length like having a 43' length bus and a 42' garage. We came to realize one of the best things about the M380 were the slides. It's amazing how a few extra feet in width can make a bus so much more comfortable. And the M380 fit perfectly in the garage.

As time went by, our plans changed and we eventually needed to sell the home with the bus garage. Since we missed the length of the LXi and all the amenities it provided, we sold the M380. You can bet that the first requirement Tela demanded on another coach was that it had at least a living room slide. We looked at many Prevosts before we bought another LXi but I was just not willing to pay the extremely high premium for a slide versus a non-slide Prevost.

So I'm a convert too. Once you own a bus with a slide and enjoy the extra room, odds are you will not buy another bus without one.

Chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
09-10-2013, 10:31
Yeah,
This discussion has been around a VERY long time with no real right or wrong answer. My personal opinion is it comes down to a "use case" scenario, if you need them and like them, get'em, if you do not need them, then don't get'em.........Big Grin I think the only real point is IF you do get them, try and get a layout that works with the slide in because sooner or later you will be in that position where you cannot deploy the slide. One example, we were at a music festival with a few birds and the rally park was "field", hence it rained and the slide coaches could not deploy the jacks or slides as they sank into the ground............Walmart or 1 night stop overs, etc.........
Chuck, I laughed to myself at your story....about the Tela and the dog........same here with 2 small dogs BUT we joke all the time that the dogs ALWAYS want to lay and be in our lap so if we got slides, it would not help!Tongue We would have all that space and NO ONE would be using it!!!!!We try and chase them to there own area but the come right back in our laps! 2 people and 2 small dogs on 1 couch!!!!!!!Hilarius........ALWAYS!Big Grin

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
09-13-2013, 23:26
Corey , your pic of the 4 Bdr slide coach , tells it all . the more slides the better Smile once you go slide, you never go back Smile Smile

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)