Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multifocal Contact Lenses
09-10-2013, 14:53 (This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 15:00 by Arcticdude.)
RE: Multifocal Contact Lenses
For the techie folks out there. The newest multifocals are made from a silicone hydrogel material. We've know for years that silicone would be a very healthy material if (and that was a HUGE if) it could be made to hold moisture. That bridge was crossed about 15 years ago, so the newer materials are vastly superior to the older ones. Much healthier, much easier to handle and much easier to wear! Some of these are FDA approved for 30 nights continuous wear. Put a pair on the 1st, take them out the 31st, throw them away and put a new pair in. Truly 24/7 correction without surgery.

For some patients, I think it's a better option than LASIK, whether they need bifocals or not.

This material is also available for the nearsighted folks, the farsighted folks and the people with astigmatism. The only thing we don't have are colored contacts in the new material. The only reasons to not be in the newer materials are an abnormal prescription (strengths outside the parameters made), your allergies are too much (in which case you should be in a daily disposable lens), or you prefer to wear gas permeable (hard) lenses or you want colored contacts.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2013, 19:52
Thanks for the great info Arcticdude. I stopped by my optometrist's office today and I'm wearing Air OPTIX Aqua Multifocals.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
[+] 2 users Like davidbrady's post
09-10-2013, 23:32
Those are great lenses and approved for 6 nights continuous wear. Clean them overnight and wear another week. At the end of the month, throw them away and start a new pair. They often work very well.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
09-11-2013, 10:53
Thanks David for the follow up, If my doc says I'm a candidate, I'm going to ask for that brand to try as well!!!!!!!Wink I will also provide feedback to the team..........

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
09-11-2013, 21:31
After reading and thinking about the new style lenses, I wish these were available when I had my cataract surgery.

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
09-12-2013, 00:55
Steve,

While I certainly embrace the newer technologies, I'm very old school when it comes to implementing them sometimes. I tell all my LASIK patients that if they even remotely think they want monovision (1 eye sees distance, 1 eye near), then spend a little money before hand and let me show you with a single contact what it would be like. I can fairly easily show somebody the BEST it can be, while the surgery may or may not end up there. I do the same for my cataract patients. Unfortunately, no one has taken me up on the offer. The outcomes are running 50-50. Half like their outcome and half don't. 20 years from now, we'll have a good focusing implant and THAT will revolutionize the industry.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
09-12-2013, 23:54
Think I can get that in 20 years? Heck, I'll only be 91Big Grin

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
09-13-2013, 14:40
Why, yes sir you will be able to get that in 20 years! Assuming the politicians do something to fix the current mess and direction we're headed, that is!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
10-08-2013, 11:09 (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 11:24 by pgchin.)
I wanted to bump this thread as I committed to report on how I was doing with these lenses when I went to my doctor and so others may "see" the experience!Big Grin Tee Hee. Here's the product URL: http://www.airoptix.com/

First, A big thanks to both David and John......... David for "enlightening" the membership and John for his professional information and personal encouragement to me about trying them!
Well, I got to the docs and asked about the product, my left eye is a good candidate, my right eye (dominant ) was borderline as my astigmatism over the last 20 years since I had the Lasik done was "borderline". However, my doc is a "pal" so he said, lets "give er a go Joe" and see what you can see! Tongue My motivation was although I was comfortable with 3 sets of glasses Distance, which I never wear as my correction is very low, computer, which I always wear and the close up to see the Iphone and read books............. was getting to be a PIA having always to switch and I do NOT like progressive or tri-focals! Also, nothing,like working under the bus full of grease, having to change glasses to see what the heck I am doing to fix something.....this was a BIG / HUGE PIA in the Florida heat and sweat and I wanted the multifocals so I can drive, fix things, see the Iphone when we are at rest areas,etc.........
So in they go, after about 20 years of not wearing soft lenses and I can truthfully say MY OH MY has the technology changed in 20 years! Extra thin, extremely comfortable in all kinds of environments............ and the best part I can see at ALL THREE distances!!!!!Big Grin Yippeeeee!
Now the overall vision, as John stated, is a "compromise", but I truly enjoy each distance so I am good with it. My doc, being a pal, gave me two sets to try, both set to the same distance correction but one set has a "higher" close up correction and will compromise the distance more. he said try them both, come back, and we'll hook you up with the prescription you like best!Wink Still on the first pair with RAZOR sharp distance, BUT I can still read a paperback book, see and use the Iphone, and the computer extremely well!!!!!
Lastly, the "brain training" John spoke of earlier. I can truthfully say I actually enjoyed that part of it the BEST! I love trying new things and exercising the old noggin in different venues, even before these lenses. I'd do things / tasks, with different hands like brushing your teeth with a different hand every day, etc just to keep training it and keep it from getting old and lazy , so the lenses deal was so much fun!!!!!!!! I believe the old noggin is about trained ALMOST after 3 days but what a 3 day trip it was......the eyes would slip in and out of "mono vision" at will and switch "roles" at will, I was like "WOW MAN........ have I been hangin with Cheech and Chong"!Cool That was REALLY funky, that each one would switch roles...........I'd have to "force" them to play nice by continually changing all the 3 distances quickly and regularly!!!!!!! After about 3 days, they are both "playing nice"now!Angel It truly was fun and a gas!!!!!
So there you have it, my personal experience with them.......... and it was a success even with one eye with borderline astigmatism....... and before I forget, the Air Optix multi focals , as John previously stated, are 30 day throw aways approved for 30 days of daily wear or 7 days, 6 nights with 1 day of rest each week for the month.........you and your doctor will decide what is best for you! I had a devil of time digging that info out of the website so I figured I'd just put it here to reinforce John's earlier comments and save people some time.

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
10-08-2013, 19:03
Thanks for the good report. Think I'll go talk with my eye doc and see what we can do.

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)