Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Webster Hydraulic Fan Motor
09-21-2013, 06:44
RE: Webster Hydraulic Fan Motor
Morning, all:

I'm still disabled and beginning to think my hydraulic system is un-repairable. New fan motor, new hoses and fittings, new hydraulic pump, thoroughly cleaned radiator/coolers. Only thing I have not replaced is the old Danfoss hydraulic solenoid that switches the fan from automatic to manual. Apparently that part is extinct and cannot be found anywhere. I did have it modified to where it remains in the open position, theoretically to cause the fan to spin all the time as if the dash fan override switch is on all the time which I have done since I bought the bird 5 years ago.

Cranked up Thursday afternoon and the fan started up but never got over about 700 RPMs. (apparently something restricting pressure between the hydraulic pump and the fan but not in the direction of the power steering, because it came back up immediately).

Sad part is the brand new Webster hydraulic pump was apparently DOA (defective on arrival) and the pump shaft broke in two. Good news its under warranty and being sent back to Webster Pump Division in Charlotte for replacement.

Anyway, I'm beginning to wonder if that OEM Danfoss solenoid which is permanently modified to remain in the open position should be by-passed all together. That could result in a lot, maybe excessive pressure going to the fan motor. So, I got to thinking (bad for a techno-challenged person) why not install its place a gate valve to be able to control the hydraulic pressure going to the fan.

I'm beginning to think my beast is not going to get back on the road again.

Suggestions are very welcome.

Tommy Rountree, AKA RetDA
Still a Newbie
1994 WB
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Webster Hydraulic Fan Motor - RetDA - 09-12-2013, 06:14
RE: Webster Hydraulic Fan Motor - RetDA - 09-21-2013 06:44

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)