Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LXi Exterior Trim Part Needed
12-04-2013, 15:51
RE: LXi Exterior Trim Part Needed
I just heard from Tammy at Holland (Michigan) Motorhomes. She said these parts are no longer available from BB. She had one in stock, so I got it.

This probably means the louvers went the same way. That is why Parliament had to pay to have a new die for the louvers made. They are about to place an order for louver stock, so at least we have a source for that when we need it.

Thanks for the help. I would have missed that one and had to carve one. Well, all it takes is time, and we retired people seem to have some of that.

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
Winter in St. Petersburg, FL
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2013, 16:54
Fantastic Ron. I sure would like to see some pics of it when it shows up! Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
12-05-2013, 00:52
Well, David, that requires that I remember to take some pictures. I have this theory, unaccepted by our medical friends, that memory cells reside in hair pigment.... Since I have white hair, I have an excuse if you have to remind me. Ha ha.

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
12-05-2013, 13:19
The LTC40 was part of the sale to CCW. It was based on the Wanderlodge, and is no longer in production. George Morris was servicing one when we stopped for service last month.

Morey Zuber
99LXi41
12-11-2013, 00:30
İmage Got the part. It has two tangs, both used when applied in the front of the bus, but only one used when applied in the rear of the bus because the hinged panel back there moves without the plug. The old tang is in place and impossible to remove, so it must be screwed on. I will have to cut off both tangs and glue it on. So, beware you don't break one of these plugs off.

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
12-11-2013, 00:42
Thanks Ron. It looks like the kind of stuff we used to make in high school shop class. So I take it there are no markings, numbers, or names on it?

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
12-11-2013, 01:36
So why not now make an epoxy copy of the part to use in your particular application, leaving the tang(s) off as needed? Glue that one into place, saving the oem for future usage. At least you'd have a perfect mould that way.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
12-11-2013, 05:19 (This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 05:22 by mhughes01.)
Did the original part break and fall off? Wondering if his is likely to be a common requirement for LXIs.

This does not look like it would be hard to fab up out of stainless or even mill out of aluminum. I have a full tool room with lathe, milling machine, plasma cutter, welders, etc.

A lost wax casting could also be made, and parts cast from the mould, although the metal might not be so strong as the original.

Mike and Tracy - near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
1999 43 LXI, "Maddy" - 60 Series Detroit
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (Diesel) or Jeep Rubicon 4 Down Toad

Rolleyes http://www.challengerwest.com Tongue
12-11-2013, 12:38 (This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 12:48 by pgchin.)
(12-11-2013 01:36)Arcticdude Wrote:  So why not now make an epoxy copy of the part to use in your particular application, leaving the tang(s) off as needed? Glue that one into place, saving the oem for future usage. At least you'd have a perfect mould that way.

Yeah, A mold would be helpful to other LXI owners since only 1 NOS is available right now, I truly like the dentist trick.........really cheap.........reminds me of making " candle wax molds" as a kid.......a lotta fun!Big Grin

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
12-12-2013, 00:28
Well, this part is not to the standards of those on the LXi. It must have been a cost reduction or a rejected part. It is a bit short and very rough, not rounded as on the bus. I'd carve a new one before making a mold of this one. I have reworked it as much as I can.

However, the more interesting observation is the hinge extrusions themselves. Blue Bird went to a lot of expense on that trim. Here are two pictures showing the exposed end. I had no idea they were extruded in the form of a gear so that the center piece would not favor one way or the other, but rotate evenly with the two adjoining pieces. Elegant. I like it. One of the hidden gems in these remarkable machines.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
[+] 1 user Likes rrueckwald's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)