Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water in Fuel light
09-05-2018, 13:58
Water in Fuel light
The dash light on my 2001 LXi shows water in the fuel. I have drained the separator several times. A few questions.

1- Should the engine be running or off while draining? I have tried both ways.
2- How long should you let it drain?
3- The alarm for water in the fuel over the door does not go on - are these alarms connected or is one if the problem is more critical?
4- Is there a fuel additive that will remove the water?

Any other suggestions.

Thanks

Urnie

Urnie & Medie Krueger
Yorkville, IL

2001 LXi One Slide
1983 FC35 sold
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2018, 14:47
RE: Water in Fuel light
There are additives. If it was me, I would immediately treat the tank. I think water can cause your injector tips to explode.

When was the last time you got fuel and where? New place or trusted place with lots of diesel traffic? Is the tank Full?

If you eliminate the source(fuel), then it may just be a sensor. Don't think it matters when you drain the water whether you are running or not, but you may not have the same system as me, I have a Racor on an 8V92. Don't know about the alarms?

When you say you have drained separator several times, is that with no miles in between or does the light go off and come back on?

Hope this helps.
Gregg

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
09-05-2018, 19:58
David will be able to confirm, but isn't the WIF light sensor in the bottom of the fuel tank? You drain a little from it and that should turn the light out.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
09-05-2018, 20:31
John is correct on that. Sometimes there is something on the outside of the sensor that could cause that, or sensor may be bad. There is a drain cock near the sensor that you can use to drain off a little bit to see if there is water present. Use a clear jar and if water is present, it will be seen in the jar. BE VERY CAREFULL GETTING UNDER THE BUS.

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
09-05-2018, 22:38
Several good points. I do try to watch where I get fuel. The light went off once for a hour or two - than back on.
I am getting older and harder to get under a vehicle - on the 2001LXi where about is the drain? towards the side or in the middle? is it a finger tight type valve like on the Racor?
Any suggestion on a brand of water treatment?

Urnie & Medie Krueger
Yorkville, IL

2001 LXi One Slide
1983 FC35 sold
09-06-2018, 08:44
There are lots of treatments, just make sure it says it's for Diesel. All the chain auto parts stores have them. I would treat the whole tank, so you may have to fill up. Also, I would have some spare filters on hand. The treatment may also remove some tank growth.

I have used this one in my boat for water.
Hope this helps
Gregg

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
09-08-2018, 21:53
Today I was able to spend some time checking this out. I drained a mason jar full of fuel from the separator and the fuel tank. Neither had any signs of water.
It may be like Steve said, a bad sensor.
I am adding additives just to make sure.
Thanks for the help.

Urnie

Urnie & Medie Krueger
Yorkville, IL

2001 LXi One Slide
1983 FC35 sold
09-10-2018, 08:44
My water in fuel light stays on all the time. I simply unplugged the sensor. Now water in fuel light out.

Richard Ramsey
09-10-2018, 18:35
all of my birds had that issue one time or another. I almost did Richards' fix. Bluebird had too many lights and buzzers

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)