Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weir Stat thermostats
02-18-2013, 22:47
Weir Stat thermostats
Anyone here bought Weir Stat thermostats? I have been searching, found supposed part numbers, but when they arrived, they say Gates on them. I was surprised when I pulled the old ones out, they say Weir Stat on them, so were already changed at some point in time. But I can't seem to locate genuine new ones?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2013, 00:04 (This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 00:11 by davidbrady.)
RE: Weir Stat thermostats
Markus, I think Gates makes all the Weir-Stat thermostats. How do the new ones compare to the ones you removed?

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
02-19-2013, 00:09
David, I will have to take pictures but they don't seem the same. For one, when I put the new ones in the hole where the old ones were, they wiggled a little. The old ones almost "locked" in place. Plus the insides seemed different, but I don't remember exactly what it was, will have to post side by side pics.

I am considering reusing what I have, since they were obviously not original and say Weir Stat right on them, but with no part numbers.
02-19-2013, 00:40 (This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 09:52 by davidbrady.)
Markus,

Gonefishen, over on the dieselenginetraders site, says: "To my knowledge all thermostats sold are of the 'Weir Stat' type. The only stat used are the older ones on the 53 series, 110 series, and the rapid warmup stat used on some 71/92 series and the inline engines. BTW a 92 stat works on the Series 60 and vise versa".

So the 92 and S60 tstats are interchangeable. According to those guys this is the part number: 23503825

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detroit-Diesel-1...0558649940

david brady,

02-19-2013, 10:34 (This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 10:36 by davidbrady.)
Markus, this came from here: http://www.stant.com/Parts-Locator/ I searched on DD part no: 23503825

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

david brady,

02-19-2013, 15:04
Markus, in that ebay ad I posted earlier there's another part number listed: 4R313-403
If you look closely at the pics in the ad the tstat does have "Weir-Stat" stamped on it.

david brady,

02-19-2013, 21:49
(02-19-2013 15:04)davidmbrady Wrote:  Markus, in that ebay ad I posted earlier there's another part number listed: 4R313-403
If you look closely at the pics in the ad the tstat does have "Weir-Stat" stamped on it.

David - yes, I see that now. But, I also see it looks just like the ones I got, that don't say Weir. Hm.... Also, following this link, the S60 and V92 don't list the same part numbers: http://www.gates.com/catalogs/fleet/DetroitThermo.pdf

I dunno. Here are pictures of the "old Weir" I pulled out and the "new Weir" side by side. There are differences in each picture, can you spot them?

İmage İmage
02-19-2013, 22:22 (This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 22:42 by davidbrady.)
Hey Markus, Yes I see some obvious differences at the pin and the collar. On the old one the Weir's are formed into the collar. The collar on the new one doesn't appear to have any weirs. On the new one, are the weirs on the barrel? Weirs are just notches. Can you identify any weirs on the new one? Maybe a close up of the inside of the barrel in the vicinity of the collar.

Standard-Thomson invented the Weir-Stat. They filed a patent on it which I'm sure is long expired. Gates bought Standard-Thomson. 'Weir-Stat' is a copyrighted name. Stant also makes Weir stats but probably can't use the 'Weir-Stat' name. I'm sure others make them too.

david brady,

02-19-2013, 23:01
I think I see notches in the picture.

02-20-2013, 00:34 (This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 00:40 by davidbrady.)
This is a Gates 33578, right? Yeah, those are the weirs - they're stamped into the side of the barrel. It's a Weir!

The Gates catalog talks about the bottom collar. It's three pieces, two rubber rings and a bead. The bead get's cinched down between the rubber seals. Sounds like the little bit of play that exists (side to side motion at the collar) is so that the barrel can ride concentrically within the upper rubber seal (self centering), also the three piece collar probably flattens out some as it gets clamped into place. Use them! They're good! Smile

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)