Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Air Governor
08-21-2013, 22:21 (This post was last modified: 08-21-2013 22:29 by cmillsap.)
Air Governor
I know I have an air governor on my bus but I have never physically seen it and I am not familiar with how it works.

How wide should the on/off range be on the engine air compressor governor? What are the proper settings? I have noticed that my air governor allows a wider range than I am comfortable with. The air compressor builds to 130psi and remains dormant until the system pressure is reduced to near 80 psi. As the air pressure decreases so does the braking power. It would seem to me that a closer air system pressure range(i'e' 110 to 130) is required to keep the brakes working at their best level to stop the bus.

Chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2013, 00:07
RE: Air Governor
Chuck:

Most systems I am familiar with operate between about 90 lbs. and 115 lbs. The air governor controls this. On my 96 bird, I had to replace the air governor and it was mounted inside the frame rail over the drive axle. It took a young man with 5 ft. arms and three elbows to get to it.

On my 2003 LXI, it is right near the air compressor and easy to get to. It normally has a 1/4 inch tube line from the governor to the air compressor. They cost about $20 from any auto parts that caters to the trucking industry. They do go bad and replacement usually solves the problem.

The valves on the air compressor can also get sticky and effect start and stop pressures. You can remove the cover and clean the valves without tearing the air compressor down. It is a fairly simple procedure.

2003 LXI dbl. slide

George & Norma Fox
Mexico in Winter
Alaska in Summer
http://www.doszorros.com
08-22-2013, 00:37
(08-22-2013 00:07)DOSZORROS Wrote:  Chuck:

Most systems I am familiar with operate between about 90 lbs. and 115 lbs. The air governor controls this. On my 96 bird, I had to replace the air governor and it was mounted inside the frame rail over the drive axle. It took a young man with 5 ft. arms and three elbows to get to it.

On my 2003 LXI, it is right near the air compressor and easy to get to. It normally has a 1/4 inch tube line from the governor to the air compressor. They cost about $20 from any auto parts that caters to the trucking industry. They do go bad and replacement usually solves the problem.

The valves on the air compressor can also get sticky and effect start and stop pressures. You can remove the cover and clean the valves without tearing the air compressor down. It is a fairly simple procedure.

Thanks, George.... I appreciate the info...I'm gonna have mine serviced..

Chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
08-22-2013, 10:06
The cut-in pressure sounds a little low to me Chuck. I'll check mine when I get to the bus on Friday but I recollect that the cut-in is around 100 to 105 psi and the cut-out is around 125 to 130 psi.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
08-22-2013, 12:29
Chuck: do you have an air controlled cruise control system? If so do you notice some surging as the bus air pressure drops below 90 lbs?

Steve Fox
87 FC35
08-22-2013, 14:01
(08-22-2013 12:29)Endless Summer Wrote:  Chuck: do you have an air controlled cruise control system? If so do you notice some surging as the bus air pressure drops below 90 lbs?

Steve, I assumed (maybe erroneously) that the cruise control was electronically controlled but I realy haven't looked at it that closely. I can monitor the setting on the Silverleaf. I haven't noticed any surging as the air pressure drops.

Chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
08-23-2013, 17:26
Hi Chuck,

I checked my governor at my bus today. It cycles between 100 and 125 psi.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)